Monday, March 3, 2008

Knowledge

I'm beginning to realize that there are a lot of things I don't know. For some of you, that may not be news. It's just that I recently learned this odd thing about men's dress shirts. There are these funny little plastic thingys that go in the collar that you take out when you wash and replace afterwards. I learned this after I'd thrown out almost all of Mark's that appeared on our nightstand a few days ago. I just assumed that it was part of the collection of pins and odd little cardboard shapes that comewith a shirt you buy at a store where they fold them up into little squares.

THe reason I bring this up is because it got me thinking about all the odd little male things that I still don't know. Like, I really can't tie a tie that well. Yet, there will probably come a day when I'll have to hang a tied one on the doorknob for Sam's fancy dress day at school so he can just slip it over his head (I know, I know, teach a man to fish...blah, blah, blah). Or, let's not just have it be "guy stuff." Sam might one day be really into fencing, or painting, or rock-climbing, and I'll find myself suddenly conversational about foils or canvases or rappeling. One really cool thing that I remember about growing up was how much my parents got into the things Nick and I were. I know that my Dad listened to classical music and played the guitar long before we came along, but it was still really cool when I was in grad school to hear him start a conversation with, "Have you heard Leontyne Price? Wow, she's good!" They were genuinely excited about the things we were. I hope that we can do the same for Sam.

No comments: