Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Feel the burn


I started aerobics last week at the awesome community center, childcare included! Sam plays in the toddler room with a few other kids while I torture myself and generally try to not embarass myself by stepping on myown toes or passing out. The instructor is a very nice, cheerful lady with nut-cracking ability in most muscle groups. There's also the obligatory student in spandex who positions herself in the front of theclass and does jumping jacks when the rest of us are struggling with the step-kick. Does resentment burn calories?

I "go out to check on Sam" a few times during the class, which involves me leaning panting against the window of the playroom trying to muster up the gumption to return to class. Sam is extremely cool with me leaving him, luckily. When I spy on him, he's cruising around in one of the cars looking at the other kids. I just hope he doesn't continue to do this as an adult. I'm a little ambivalent about the lady watching them. She's nice enough, but has rules like "don't bump the cars together" and "only go DOWN the slide." For Sam, rules like this were made to be broken.

No comments: