Monday, January 21, 2008

My favorite time of day

This morning, Sam actually slept in without me! There are two amazing things about this. First, it means that I was well-rested enough to get out of bed before I had to. Second, it means that Sam nursed this morning, turned over, and went back to sleep without me! I didn't have the guts to get in the shower, but I did leisurely go about other morning routine things, threw some laundry in the machine, tidied up...heaven.

And when Sam did wake up, he was delightfully fun. He sat up with his sleepy stick-up hair, and started telling me about the room. Everything he says right now ends in a question mark. (Pointing to the closet)"Clothes?" (Pointing at toy chest) "Animals?" We chat about the room, then, "Mama new glasses?" Pointing at my face. "Why yes, I did pick up my new glasses yesterday, Sam, thank you for noticing!" "Daddy truck work?" "Yeah, Sam, it's Monday so Daddy went to work in the truck." We look out the window to confirm, and the sun is shining brightly on the frosty ground - looks like it will be a beautiful day.

Then, we had a shower experience that was pretty much the opposite of my previous post, with Sam peacefully playing with his truck on the landing while I stood in the scalding water much longer than usual.

After we got dressed, Sam zeroed in on a recent favorite activity. He has this big cube toy that has something like a turntable on the top that goes aroud when you press a button, and it comes with about 6 plastic blocks. He tries to stack the blocks as high as he can before they fall, and if he makes it, he presses the button to see if the stack will go around on the turntable without tumbling. This usually has resulted in fits of frustration, but this morning he got it up to five, and it stayed steady! He was so proud that he came over and got my attention, and pointed to it, and I duly applauded and cheered. He looked so pleased with himself!

However...he's been sticking his hand into the back of his mouth, and a friend suggested that it might be the onset of new molars. This peace may be short-lived.

No comments: